|A Guide to Financial Literacy for Secondary Students|
This book outlines and provides practice in many essential skills that young people need to achieve greater confidence and independence in financial matters.
To be financially literate is to learn about money - how to handle it, how to make it work in a positive way, and importantly, how to develop a regular habit of saving and how to begin investing.
Each section of the guide provides valuable information about using money in the real world. This knowledge is applied in the ACTIVITY sections so that students can practise realistic tasks in money management.
A regular savings habit as well as basic knowledge about investing is integral to the concept of financial literacy in this book. Managing money responsibly and ethically is also emphasized.
The last sections of the guide focus on ways of building wealth, moving beyond basic money management to a higher level of financial literacy in relation to investment and financial independence.
Managing Your Money: A Guide to Financial Literacy for Secondary Students is a valuable resource for secondary school students during their school lives and beyond, into adulthood.
|Chapter 1: Money in Action|
- Financial literacy
- Forms of money
- Cashless transactions
- Sources of income
- Spending: credit / debit cards
- Discounts - Activities
- Scams and rip-offs - Activities
Chapter 2: Effective Money Management
- Needs and wants - Activities
- Bank, building society and credit union accounts
- Interest - Activities
- Developing a budget
- Budget preparation - Activities
- Buying a mobile phone - Activities
- Financial records - Activities
- Using technology for banking and buying
- Resolving complaints about purchases - Activity
Chapter 3: Responsibility and Ethics
- Development of responsibility and ethical behaviour
- The influence of advertising, peer and other pressures
- Strategies to evaluate sales techniques
- Borrowing and spending money - Activities
Chapter 4: Building Your Wealth
- Ways for students to make money
- Saving money
- Long term plans for saving
- Investing - Activities
- Managing risks - Activities
Chapter 5: Money Management in Practice
- Investigative Task 1: The Stock Market - Activities
- Investigative Task 2: Student Savings - Activities
- Investigative Task 3: Organizing a Successful Fundraising Venture - Activities
Glossary of Terms
Board Game: 'Be the Financial Wizard'